Sunday, March 2, 2014

Blog Post #7

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

Wow. When I started watching Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams I could not stop. Just by the way he spoke, he had my full attention. Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was told he had three to six months of good health left. To that, he responded with his Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams.
 Randy Pausch


He began his lecture by telling all of his childhood dreams. They were not wild, they were specific. He went through a slideshow and timeline of his life and explained how he achieved each and every one in some way. First of all, this is so inspiring just how he managed to hold onto those dreams and achieve them! This marks the first thing I learned from him on how to teach. He was encouraged to pursue those dreams his whole childhood. As an educator, I need to remember to encourage dreams no matter how big!

Another important thing I think we can learn from Randy is the importance of how we look at situations. When he went to one dean for permission, he answered with, "I don't know", and he had no intention of finding out the answer. When he went to another dean, he answered, "I don't know, but I sure want to look into it". I have already learned to do this is EDM 310 by always answering, "I don't know, let's find out!" When our students ask questions or state their dreams, we need to always respond positively and with a "this is an opportunity to learn" outlook.

My most favorite thing I heard in his lecture is his outlook on "brickwalls". They are there for a reason. A brick wall arises to make the people who really want something, work hard for it. And it also arises to weed out the people who are not truly seeking something. He made me realize I need to think about situations more. When I think something is impossible, it is just a brick wall.
Brick Wall


I know that the next time I pass a bookstore I will be stopping to buy his book. I look forward to reading it and seeing what else I can learn about teaching and learning from him.

2 comments:

  1. Caitlyn,
    I also found it very inspiring how Pausch held onto his dreams all through his life and was able to fulfill them. I think that is an excellent thing to teach in the classroom, especially with younger children because their imaginations are so great. It's important for teachers to be encouragers. I definitely encourage you to go out and buy the book! I received the book as a high school graduation present and read it in like two days. It is definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As an educator, I need to remember to encourage dreams no matter how big!" Especially if you are teaching elementary school, your students will be very impressionable and encouraging their dreams is important.

    "I have already learned to do this is EDM 310 by always answering, "I don't know, let's find out!" When our students ask questions or state their dreams, we need to always respond positively and with a "this is an opportunity to learn" outlook." What a wonderful point to make. We are to be lifelong learners and by the students seeing how you are willing to find an answer to their questions they realize that everything can be a learning opportunity."

    Great Job.

    ReplyDelete