Sunday, February 16, 2014

Blog Post #5

What do you learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?

By watching the Youtube videos between Anthony Capps and Dr. Strange I learned a lot of useful information on how to be a great educator. Anthony is really into Project Based Learning. He does not want to just give a student a project at the end of the lesson and let them "burp it back" to him. He wants to present a project that cannot be completed without the knowledge they need. It pushes them to learn and stay engaged so they will be able to complete their project. He aligns these projects with the ACCRS. He also likes to relate the projects back to the students. When he incorporates projects back to them it is easier for them to be engaged.



I really love how we have been assigned to do so much research on Project Based Learning. Before this class I really did not know anything about it. I have heard my mother talking about learning PBL techniques from teaching workshops but I have never paid much attention to it. I am realizing just how great this can be for students! When I think back to my days in elementary school, my favorite activities were the ones I was deeply involved in. When you have fun learning it, you remember it!

Anthony and the Baldwin County School System use iCurio. It is a tool that allows students to search certain websites that have been filtered. This can search videos, audio, and pictures. It is a safe way for them to search school-safe information. It even allows them to have their own folders to save information they are finding. I am really excited to know about this search engine being that I want to stay in Baldwin County. This gives me a way to look into the technology that I might be using in the very near future!



Discovery Education was really cool to hear about. Children can learn from reading but add pictures and video and they can remember more! It brings professionals to them and they can hear from someone other than their teacher. Students are now accustomed to hearing and watching instead of just reading. Discovery Ed helps to cater to their learning preferences. This helps them to bring their reading alive!

I loved getting to hear all of Anthony's tips. These can help me when I become an educator. One great thing he said is to use technology, don't teach it! These students have grown up in the world of technology so they already have an extensive background in using it. It made me laugh when Dr. Strange said it takes the 3rd graders less time to use iMovie than it does me. It definitely took me a long while to figure it out! I am not great at using technology but I am trying my best to keep up with it!

2 comments:

  1. This was a great post! I agree with everything you have said. Your grammar, placement of words and organization throughout the post is great! I also liked how you placed the pictures and used one for every paragraph kind of organizing your paragraphs with them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete